Are you anxious about visiting the dentist?
“As someone who had a real phobia about the dentist due to mistreatment in the past, the treatment I have received over the years in this practice has eased my phobia tremendously” A C O’H
Do you put off visiting the dentist because you are worried or simply hate the whole process?
- Is there a particular aspect of your dental visit that you really do not like?
- Is there a particular treatment planned that you feel will be a real challenge? First of all, don’t feel embarrassed. A very large proportion of the population is nervous of treatment. We want to help you and we have had many successes, over the years, in helping people get over their fears about dentistry.
We take a sympathetic and understanding approach to nervous patients and understand that all people are different and so are their anxieties. It can be difficult to pluck up the courage to call the dentist (especially if you haven’t been in years). When you call us, you’ll get a sympathetic and friendly voice and when you come in, we’ll do everything we can to make you feel at home.
Dental health is an important component of overall health, but dental phobia, dental anxiety, dental fear, and fear of needles or anaesthesia are major obstacles to receiving proper dental care. Avoiding dental care can lead to chronic pain or discomfort, bad breath and simply being too ashamed to smile, which can seriously affect your quality of life.
Once you are with your dentist, we will encourage you to explain what makes you anxious – different things affect different people, so talk to us. Our aim is to provide you with the best possible care. We want to make you feel comfortable and gain your trust.
That’s why we explain exactly what we’re doing, before, during and after treatment.
- If you want us to stop, just say so.
- If you want to take a break during treatment, that’s OK too.
- All we want is to make sure you feel comfortable.
- Through time, you will feel calm, relaxed and confident about your next visit to your dentist. You can achieve the beautiful smile you’ve always dreamed of!
If you or someone that you know is anxious about dentistry we’d like to help!
“If I had this level of care and understanding about being a very nervous patient when I was younger I would have attended the dentist more often and would not have needed so much treatment now” Mrs E C