We take complaints very seriously and try our best to ensure that all our patients are pleased with their experience at Duncan Smith Dental. Should you have any cause to complain, we will deal with you courteously and promptly so that the matter is resolved as quickly as possible.
We aim to react to complaints in a manner in which we ourselves would want our complaint to be handled. We learn from our mistakes and respond to our patients concerns in a caring and sensitive way.
- The person responsible for dealing with any complaint we receive in our practice is our practice manager.
- If you contact regarding a complaint via telephone or in person, we will listen to you and offer to refer you to our practice manager immediately. If the practice manager is not available at that time, a member of staff will take brief details of your complaint and pass them on to the practice manager. Arrangements will be made for the practice manager to contact you as soon as possible.
- If your complaint is in writing or by email it will be passed on immediately to the practice manager, who will acknowledge its receipt and enclose a copy of this code of practice as soon as possible, normally within 2 working days.
- We will seek to investigate the circumstances which led to the complaint and a response sent within 10 working days.
- If it is not possible to investigate the complaint within 10 working days we will notify you and provide reasons for the delay and a likely period within which the investigation will be completed.
- We will notify you in writing to confirm the decision about your complaint immediately after completing our investigation.
- Proper and comprehensive reports are kept of any complaint received.
If, after a thorough investigation, our practice cannot resolve a complaint our practice manager will refer you to:
- Your local Citizen’s Advice Bureaux (CAB across Scotland are now funded by local NHS Boards to deliver the Independent Advice and Support Service (IASS). IASS aims to support patients, their carers and relatives in their dealings with the NHS and in other matters affecting their health).
- For complaints about NHS dental care:
NHS Lothian Complaints Team
2-4 Waterloo Place
Edinburgh, EH1 3EG
Tel: 0131 536 3370
- The British Dental Health Foundation’s Word of Mouth Advice Line
(Free and impartial advice centre, open Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm)
Tel: 0845 063 1188 (local rate call in the UK)
Online help form: http://www.dentalhealth.org/dental-helpline
- Dental Complaints Service (Independent dental complaints company funded by The General Dental Council to assist with Non NHS complaints)
Tel: 0845 612 0540 (in office hours Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm)
If you remain dissatisfied with the response from our normal complaint process, there is recourse to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman who provides a ‘one-stop-shop’ for individuals making complaints about organisations providing public services in Scotland – http://www.spso.org.uk, mobile site – http://m.spso.org.uk